Sunday, November 16, 2008

We all live in a Pink Submarine...Pink Submarine...

Ok, I've had several topics in mind for possible posts this past week, but I have the movie that I'm watching right now on my mind. So, guess what? That's right, you're gonna hear my opinion of it.

I just love the 1959 movie Operation Petticoat with Cary Grant and Tony Curtis. I always have, ever since I was a kid. In fact, for many years, watching it was my personal New Year's Eve celebration (since they showed it several years in a row on tv.) However, it's been a few years since I last saw it. And, as can happen if your not attentive, I've gotten older. And wiser. And just a tad more experienced in life.

Usually, if I catch a movie I haven't seen in a few years, I'll remember why I enjoyed it, but my taste and experience will have exceeded the movie.

Operation Petticoat, however, is still tops. So many humorisms that are still fresh today. And some that I never caught before, because, being young, I went for the more obvious jokes.

One that I had always let slip until today:

Scene: Sick bay on WWII sub. Soldiers gussied up, standing in line, and pretending to be ill to spend time with nurses. Captain (Cary Grant) goes in to send everyone back to work.

(paraphrased, 'cause I'm not rewinding it)
Captain to sailor: What are you wearing?!
Sailor: It's called 'Surrender', sir.
Captain stares hard.
Sailor: My mother sent it to me, sir!

I don't know. It just tickles me pink (the same color as the submarine!) to think of a mother of a WWII sailor sending him 'Surrender' cologne! I have to wonder...who was supposed to surrender? the enemy? or the sailor?

Ok, here's something I didn't know: Around the time of the filming of Operation Petticoat, Cary Grant was experimenting with LSD. Under the supervision of a physician. Okay. Hm. Is that doc still around? I'm not certain how I feel about this. I guess this is what happens when you watch and write at the same time. Oh, well. As long as it was prescribed....

I love how TMC gives you info about the movie and actors after ya watch it. I learn a lot. Don't you?

2 comments:

Southern Mama said...

Well...that was informative.

Skyelin said...

LSD, that explains so much.